Thursday, October 30, 2008

I am over Hollywood!

I don't usually use my blog for rants but this time it is earned. Last night I was supposed to cover a Miguel Migs show in Hollywood at a new club called Ecco. It used to be a place called Tokio Bar which was one of the last cool places left on Cahuenga Blvd. They had $5 sake and it was free to get in. The music was always good and people were always dancing. Well that place is gone and now its this place called Ecco.

I can't even say anything about the venue itself. I never made it inside. My friend and I got a weird vibe from the start. There was this crazy chick going down the line taking signatures. And when I say crazy I mean it. She was probably coked out of her mind and she rudely asked everyone for their signature. Her tone of voice suggested that we should be lucky that she was allowing us to sign up for their mailing list because as she put it "This was a hot new club!" Then she had the nerve to be nitpicky about people's handwriting. If this is the first impression that the club was giving I shutter to think what the rest of my night would have been like.

When we got to the door, the door guy said he had no more list and that is going to be $20 to get in. Mind you, it was only 11:30 on a Wednesday night. He also asked me to put my camera in my pocket instead of letting it hang over my shoulder in the handy case that I bought for no other reason than he didn't like it. I have a principal that I like to stick by. If I am going to an event as a journalist or representing Nu-Soul and I have made prior arrangements with the people I needed to, then I don't pay. If I do pay I won't do a story or take pictures, etc. Since I was in direct contact with Caroline Hoste, who works directly with Miguel Migs at his own record label, I consider myself taken care of. I shouldn't need to explain who I am to anyone. If my name is on that list I should be getting in. No questions.

Yet time and time again I have been forced to deal with assholes who work at these clubs surrounding Hollywood Blvd who think their brand new club is so awesome just becuase they slapped some new paint on the walls and booked a big name DJ for their opening night. Who fucking cares. I didn't come to see your club. I came to support Miguel Migs and provide a service to him because I would like more people to know who he is!

Needless to say, I did not go into the club. Instead we went to Denny's and fed ourselves on pancakes. Hollywood is a shithole of lame ass losers and dumb ass clubs with corny people in the same Ed Hardy shirt and spiky faux hawks. They can all suck it. Long live Downtown LA!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails